Wednesday, December 17, 2014

why this blog


I want to start writing a blog with my experience as working mom in Germany.
I came to live to Germany three years ago. Some people come because is a great place to work and quality of life is great; other people come because of love; and other people because of beer festivals. All these were good reasons for me! In summary, I fell in love with a german guy, I found Germany a great place to live which much better job opportunities and moved to Bavaria. Soon I was learning german, wearing a dirndl and drinking five mass of beer one day in the Oktoberfest.
I am very happy here and grateful to german society. I got a great job and I enjoy, respect and find incredibly interesting german culture. I like that people pay the public transport, that I can leave my bike on street and when I am back is there, I like punctuality. I spent the first years thinking very lucky with my decision to move here.
But then there was the day when we decided to have a child and I got pregnant. I was excited and very happy. What I didn't expect is that I had to start to justify to so many people why I want to keep working. Indeed I thought I finally found why in this region of Bavaria the unemployment is so low: women stop working for raising children, and if they work, they probably work half time. This country has a woman as president because she does not have children. There is even a negative term "rabenmutter" for the women who decide to work. Waiting lists for childcare take years. But the worse is when I have to explain again and again my decision, which of course nobody asks to my husband. About all this I want to write, which is my experience as a working mom in Germany!

No comments:

Post a Comment