Thursday, January 8, 2015

Trying to find a Kita!

I had already heard that it was a challenge to find a Kita in Munich. The Kita is the daycare for babies until they go to Kindergarden with 3 years. When I found out I was pregnant, I started to register for different Kitas around my place. I did it literally as soon as I knew I was pregnant, so not even my mother knew she was going to be upgraded to Grandmother, and my future baby was already registered in many Kitas. I did this in March, and my baby was born in November. Today is January, and I still do not have any answer that I will have a place at all.
One of the challenges is that there are not so many, or there are many that do not take babies younger than 1 year old or 2 years old. There are also some that only offer service until 3pm, which is not compatible with our jobs. The waiting list is also very long, it can take up to two years, isn't it incredible? This only makes sense in this country because many women take two years of maternity leave. In my case, I was registered in March 2014, and I want to find something from June 2015, which is after one year and three months and my baby will be more than six months old, but I don't have much hope to find anything to be honest! In all the Kitas I have been told that there is a long queue, that they cannot promise me there will be a place and so on.
The prices change. The public Kita was the cheapest. I already forgot the price, because I can only remember that we were told that they have 24 places and over 1000 registrations for next year, so it would be a miracle (and what a pity because it is so close to us!). The other Kitas are around 500 to 800 euros per month, and food can be around 80 to 100 euros extra per month. So yes, I believe that opening a Kita is a great business in Munich. I guess that if they were more expensive, they would also be full and with a long waiting list, as there are not enough.
In summary, I think that apart that is not well seen, it is a big challenge to go back to work because there is not enough daycare. It is also very expensive, so many families may think that does not compensate to pay that if the salaries are not high enough. I have no idea how I would solve our situation, my strategy is to start calling and writing to all the Kitas again from today until I get a positive answer! Fingers crossed! There are other alternatives: Tagesmutter or to hire a nanny, and I will talk about those in the next posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment